16 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT CROATIA
- MORE THAN 2715 HOURS OF SUNSHINE PER YEAR
Croatia is an ideal destination to meet the spring, enjoy the summer and make the most out of autumn.
- HUM IS THE WORLD’S SMALLEST TOWN
With a mere population of about 20 people, Hum is considered as smallest town in the world. It is located in Istria, part of Croatia full with “wine and olive roads”.
- THE ISLAND OF BRAČ HAS A BEACH THAT CHANGES ITS SHAPE AFTER THE WINDS
Did you know that the famous beach of Zlatni Rat changes its appearance depending on the winds? The tip of the golden beach can point either to the right or left.
- THERE ARE 1244 ISLANDS, ISLES, AND INLETS TO EXPLORE
Croatia is one of the best countries in the world to go sailing, and there are plenty of islands to discover. Some of the most famous islands include Hvar, Brač, Vis, Krk, Pag, Korčula, and Cres.
Croatia offers some of the best sailing experiences in Europe, maybe even in the whole world. And it’s fantastic to experience the country from the sea.
You get to see so many places, and at the same time enjoy the Adriatic Sea.
Also, if you are sailing fan, you have to visit Croatia during SAILING WEEK
- THE WORLD’S MOST BEAUTIFUL SUNSET IN ZADAR
Alfred Hitchcock once said that Zadar is home to the most beautiful sunset, and we think he had a good point.
In addition to beautiful sunsets, you will also find an interesting old town as well as adventure activities.
- ON THE ISLAND OF SUSAK WOMEN WEAR THE SHORTEST FOLK COSTUMES IN EUROPE
Folk costumes are very important within the European cultures, and each country and each region within that country usually have their own folk costumes. In Susak, which is a Croatian island, the women are known for having the shortest folk costumes in Europe.
- DUBROVNIK, SPLIT AND HVAR have become hot spots for celebrities and rich people.
- In Croatian, the country is named HRVATSKA, and the language is called Hrvatski.
- PLITVICE LAKES
Another proof of the mighty nature of Croatia is the Plitvice Lakes, also known as “Plitvička jezera” in Croatian. Spectacular views, waterfalls and one of the most turquoise waters I’ve ever seen.
- THE NECKTIE WAS INVENTED HERE
Another interesting fact about Croatia. The necktie that business people from all over the world wears daily originated from Croats who were fighting as mercenaries for the Kingdom of France.
Croatian wines are actually really good, although not as famous as they should be. But if you come here, make sure to go on wine tasting and order wine to every meal, you won’t be disappointed! (Croatians are the 4th heaviest alcohol consumers in the world per capita)
- The world’s best football player 2018 is from Croatia – LUKA MODRIĆ
- The most common male names are Ivan, Marko, Josip, Stjepan, and Tomislav and the most common female names are Marija, Ana, and Ivana.
- There is an unknown number of dialects, and some of them are so distinct that people from other regions would have a hard time understanding it
- CROATIAN INVENTIONS
- The Parachute
- The Torpedo
- The Mechanical Pencil
- The MP3 Player
- The Maglite Torch