9 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT RAB
1. Rab is very gay friendly.
2. Rab is first gay friendly place in Republic Croatia.
3. Nickname is OTOK SREĆE (island of happiness)
4. Rab island covers 93.6 square km. It is one of the greenest islands in the Adriatic and probably one of the most magical.
5. The main resort, Rab Town, is full of medieval buildings, built during the Venetian rule, which occurred since the 13th century. The old town walls are still visible in some places.
6. Other than the small town of Rab, there are 7 idyllic places on the island situated on different parts of the island: Barbat, Banjol, Palit, Kampor, Mundanije, Supetarska Draga and Lopar.
7. RAB FIERA – SUMMER MEDIEVAL FESTIVAL
In honour of the King Ludwig the Great, who liberated Rab from the occupation of Venice and in the holy honour and remembrance of st.Christopher, on the 21 st of July 1364, the “Great Council” of the Town of Rab by means of a special order declares the following holidays community holidays:
- The 9 th of May: Dies Victoraie, the day on which Rab was liberated from the Normans in the year 1075 by the support of St.Christopher.
- The 27 th of July: Dies Natalis, the day of the martyr’s death of St. Christopher – which the church celebrates as the Birth -Day, the day on which he was born for heaven.
The festivities always began in the Cathedral and the prince, the judge and the district council had to present and had to hold candles. In a solemn procession the head of the St. Christopher was carried across the town in a silver reliquary. Knights’ games took place and the winner was awarded.
During these holidays the court was not carrying out its activity and the debtors from the villages could freely enter and leave the town of Rab for two weeks, as the activity of the court ceased to be in force. The public festivity lasted for several days and the town gate was open for everybody.
In the recent times the festivities were shortened to three holidays:
- St. Jacob’s Day on the 25 th of July
- the St. Anna’s Day on the 26 th of July
- the St. Christopher’s Day on the 27 th of July
The today’s festivities “Fair of Rab” are remembrance of ancient Rab which celebrated its liberty and independent community – the municipium.
8. POPULAR SPORTS – TREKKING AND DIVING
TREKKING – As well as bike rides, trekking and its paths give a great possibilities to its fans. The treks is Lopar, Kristofor wood, in Banjol and Barbat, the track that lead to the island’s highest peak. are the tracks that should be especially mentioned.
DIVING – Diving activities have greatly developed. The number of visitors who choose this kind of holiday is increasing. A large number of shipwrecks as well as natural underwater relieves have been found around Rab. Beside the general course and possibility to rent equipment there are diving schools as well as the complete arrangement for diving holidays.
The traditional way of living on the island relied on fishing and seafood and agriculture. Today, such a way of life has left a deep trace.
Fish and seafood are basis food items with the inhabitants and many visitors and tourists who came in Rab. From pilchards which fed the poor island’s peasants, through the octopuses, the groper to the fish emperor – the dentex.